Cancer patients may have heard about noni or Morinda citrifolia. Others call it Indian Mulberry or Tahitian Noni. Many people believe that noni is a wonder fruit that can treat cancer. To date, there are studies being undertaken to medically confirm the efficacy of noni as cancer treatment.
Noni drink is claimed to remedy certain disorders. Noni juice has been attributed to cure diabetes melitus, cardiac disorders, cholesterol problems, hypertension, HIV, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis skin disorder, allergies, and inflammation. Others have noticed the curative effect of the fruit against sinusitis, premenstrual pains, ulcers, sprains, depression, senility, poor digestion, atherosclerosis, addiction, colds, flu, and headaches. Polynesians have used noni poultice for almost all kinds of infections, injuries, and inflammation.
Noni’s Anti-Cancer Properties
The reason why noni fruit has been refered to as the wonder fruit for cancer is because it contains a large amount of nutrients that help inhibit the growth of cancer cells. The American Cancer Society clearly recommends a diet of vitamin-rich fruits and vegetables for cancer prevention. Because noni is very rich in a lot of cancer fighting nutrients, it is believed to help prevent cancer and inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
Almost all parts of noni fruit can be used for medicinal purpose, but the juice from ripe noni has discovered to have anti-cancer elements. A brief information on the noni cancer components listed below makes noni a wonder drink for cancer.
- Anthraquinones (Damnacanthol) is a chemical that has an antiseptic and antibacterial effect on cancer. Anthraquinones activates the cancer killing cells (T-cells) as an immune response to cancer.
- Glycoside compounds have been found in noni juice which prevents cancer growth and acts as a scavenger of free radicals.
- Limonene found in many citrus fruits is an anticancer compound with bitter taste.
- Nitric oxides play a very important function in our body. Noni juice contains nitric oxide that aids in maintaining a strong or improved immune system.
- Phytonutrients are considered as cancer-blockers. Noni phytonutrients nourish the cells, tissues and organs. They also act as anti-free radicals, build up the immune system against diseases, delay aging and lessen the ill effects of pollution.
- Polysaccharides can control the progress of cancer cells by stimulating the immune system and affecting its reaction to cancer cells.
- Proxeronine, Proxeronase, and Xeronine: Xeronine comes from the combined substances proxeronase and proxeronine. They are protein layers making up the building blocks of peptides. They are held together by bonds which is strengthened by xeronine. Unfortunately, noni plant is the sole food source of xeronine. During stressful circumstances and exposure to toxins, xeronine is used up by the body; thus it needs to be constantly replenished by drinking noni juice.
- Soluble and Insoluble Fiber. Cancer can be reduced with the help of noni fibers. Soluble fibers act as cleansing agent of the blood, lower cholesterol in the body, use good fats for body metabolism and regulate glucose level. Insoluble fibers are anti-colon cancer.
Noni Helps Improve Cancer Patients’ Health
Noni juice contains other substances that are important in improving health of patients newly diagnosed with cancer. These include:
- Amino acids. Noni juice has 9 essential amino acids which are the building blocks for protein. They come from our diet because the body do not manufacture them. Actually noni juice contains 17 out of 20 known amino acids in food.
- Esential fatty acids. Noni contains poly-unsaturated fats that keeps our skin healthy, including all the nerve cells, cardiac tissues and blood vessels. Moodiness from stress-related factors is prevented. Fatty acids maintain proper nutrient-toxin balance by keeping all body cells well.
- Selenium is an anti-oxidant present in noni fruit juice. This trace element helps in increasing oxygen flow in the heart which prevents blood clot and hypertension. It also anti-aging.
- Scopoletin helps maintain a feeling of wellness. It actually has lots of health benefits. It regulates serotonin which prevents weakness, feeling of depression and anxiety. When combined with melatonin, scopoletin can help maintain good sleep, hunger and body temperature.
- Terpene found in noni helps in restoring body cells and eliminating body toxins.